DIY: How to use a Knitting Loom to make an Infinity Scarf

DSC_8968

Like I said in my previous post, this post has nothing to do with cooking, so look away if you’re not interested. After posting a picture on my Instagram about my recent knitting obsession, I had a couple of people ask me about knitting with the loom. There are tons of tutorials online to learn how to knit using sticks, but not as many using a knitting loom. Since I had a camera and was starting a new project, I figured I’d make my own tutorial if anyone else wanted to learn the easier way to knit.

First, here’s what you need:

DSC_8978

• knitting loom
  • loom hook
  • yarn needle
  • scissors
  • yarn (If you want a chunkier scarf, use a thicker yarn. My favorite is by Bernat: “Softee chunkee.” I used two skeins for this project.)
  • crochet hook in a size K (I forgot to include this in the picture. Also, it’s not necessary but it makes your life a whole lot easier when casting off at the end.)

Here are the details of my yarn if you’re into that kind of thing. I don’t really bother with specifics. If it looks and feels right, use it.

DSC_8971

Did you know about this trick? In order to get the end of the yarn, stick your hand into the left side of the yarn ball and pull out the little bundle you feel.

DSC_8980

DSC_8982

Voi-la! You’ve got an end of the yarn without dismantling the entire thing. I may or may not have taken too big of a handful in this picture. Oh well, you’re going to use it anyways.

saveone

Start out by making a slip knot with about five inches at the end. Then, stick your slip knot onto the end prong of your loom.

steptwo

Let’s number our prongs. All the ones closest to you at the bottom will be odd numbers and the top row will be even numbers.

Now grab your string that’s attached to the ball of yarn and put it in between prongs 1 and 3. Wrap it clockwise around prong 1 and bring it up in between prongs 2 and 4.

Wrap it counterclockwise around prong 2 and bring it down in between prongs 2 and 4. Repeat this figure 8 pattern until you get to the desired width of your scarf. For this one, I used 13 prongs.

DSC_9001

Once you get to your last even prong, bring it back in between the last two odd prongs you used.

Tip: There’s no need to make the string as tight as humanly possible. Actually, don’t even do that. I did that the first time and the middle of my loom started caving in the middle. No bueno. Nice and easy wins the race.

stepthree

Push all the yarn loops on the pegs to the bottom. Then, continue wrapping your string again, now going from the right end of the loom to your left.

Wrap the string counterclockwise against the last odd peg and then bring it in between the 2nd and 3rd to last even pegs. Your last even peg will only have one layer. Continue the figure 8 pattern all the way to the where you began.

It helps me to remember which way to wrap the string by thinking of climbing up a ladder. Use the string to “climb” up your loom.

stepfour

Once you get back to the end, wrap the string between pegs 2 and 4 and hold it there, as pictured.

stepfive

It’s time to bust out your loom hook. Starting from left to right,take the bottom yarn loop and bring it over the top one, completely taking the bottom loop off of the peg.

DSC_9028

DSC_9029

Continue this process for every peg, except for the your last even peg (since it only has one loop).

DSC_9030

This is what your loom should look like after taking off the bottom layer of yarn loops.

stepsix

Now that you’re left with one layer of yarn loops at the top, push them all to the bottom again. Repeat this process again and again until you get your desired length. Remember, there will always be one peg with only one yarn loop when you go to hook them, so don’t freak out. Leave that single yarn loop alone!

Don’t forget to remove your slip knot from the peg after doing a couple of rows.

IMG_4551

It takes a bit of time, but you’ll eventually see progress if you keep working at it. The thicker the yarn, the faster the scarf will be done. As for how to cast off when you’re finished, this YouTube video will show you better than any picture could explain.

Attach both ends together using a flat seam and your knitting needle. Congratulations! You just made an infinity scarf.

IMG_4554

Comments

1. meg says

beautiful scarf! sorry i’m a total beginner– what do you mean by flat seam? and what size knitting needle do you use? i love this project but can just see myself with a scarf still stuck to the loom, no idea how to finish it up!

• Meg says

Oh i see! One more question since I’m actually working on this now! I’m several rows in and I’ve removed the initial slip knot from the peg– the actual knot though is like 2 inches from the edge of the scarf. Should I make a second knot that’s closer to the scarf edge itself? When you made the flat seam, did you just weave in the initial 5 inch thread with the slip knot or did you trim it? Sorry for all the questions!

2. Annie says

super cute!!! the resulting scarf looks amazing! makes me want to go to michael’s tomorrow to get started :) please share your future knitting projects/tutorials!

3. Paige says

get an old bic pen (one with a straight shaft) and take it apart. You only want the hollow shaft. thread your yarn through the tube and then make your slip knot and proceed with wrapping your yarn using the tube. The hollow tube easily fits between the pegs and allows you to get your yarn easily wrapped and reduces the chance of the yarn popping off. I find it goes much quick than wrapping by hand.

4. Vicki Chambers says

Thank you for making this look so easy. I’ve really gotten into loom knitting. I’ve made 3 hats and I’m working on one more then I’m going to take a scarf.

• kim says

i used two skeins of yarn, which was enough to wrap around my neck twice. just hold it up around your neck and keep going until you’re happy with the length!

• kim says

5. Katie H. says

Thank you so much for making such a wonderful, easy to follow tutorial!! Loom knitting is a lot faster and easier than with regular needles… And your pictures made the process even easier! :)

6. alex says

The scarf looks great! Since you used two things of yarn how did you pick it up when the first yarn ran out? Thanks in advance :)

• Kerri Houghton says

Alex I believe she said that she just tied them together, at least that is what I did and then just hid the ends.

• Maggie says

Janet, you can actually do that by going to your browser’s “file” tab, and click print. Then either print directly from there, or you can “Print as .PDF” and it will save the page as a document. Hope that helps!

7. Mysterycrafter says

Just FYI, you can make an infinity scarf on the large round loom as well, and there will be no need to stitch ends together since it comes out connected.

8. Vballgirl133 says

Should you take off the bottom layer every time you go around the loom and back or should you unhook the bottom layer another time in between there?

9. Kira deep says

Love the tutorial!!! Just wondering though, the amount of pegs you use is that the width that the scarf with come out to be or does it shrink? Thanks for the amazing tutorial, can’t wait to get started :)

10. Jamie Engle says

This is an awesome tutorial! Made 2 so far using Red Heart’s boutique midnight yarn – comes out nice and soft and drape-y. I made it 60″ long then flat-seamed it, so about 1.5 skeins of the midnight yarn.

Thanks so much!

11. Jodi says

I have seem several tutorials for Using the loom, and this is really the best! Thank you and I really appreciate the comments about the little things… Like, remove the slip knot after a few rows, and leave that last stitch alone ( the single loop one)….aha! Now THAT MAKES SENSE!
    Thanks so much – great job!

• Judy says

I just bought a package of looms at JoAnn’s. I thought I would like to try loom knitting. I am having a hard time getting started. I have done it far enough to pull the bottom loop over the top loop. But it looks so lose I tried it again doing it tighter, But for some reason when I put the loops over it looks sloppy. Help!!

12. Rachel says

Hi, i saw your tutorial and just had to try! I bought a loom by Boye, but it doesn’t have the starting peg at the end. Can you tell me how I start without that peg? Thanks for your help!

HI–OK, GOT MY MATERIALS….MY YARN SIZE #6 CHUNKY BULKY;
    5OZ.
    HOWEVER, THERE’S NOTHING ANYWHERE THAT SAYS #11, WHAT’S THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THAT?
    aLSO, I HAVEN’T SEWN OR KNIT ANYTHING IN YEARS….SO DON’T
    LAUGH IF i ASK U TO REFRESH ME ON WHAT A “flat” SEAM IS?
    tHANX,FOR GREAT PIX & SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS.
    WISH ME LUCK!

Hi, I’m Nancy. I want to thank you for a great tutorial. I am new at loom knitting and I just finished this scarf. I did really well but in the beginning I made the stitches to loose. I used the bright green loom from Wal-Mart. Is their a different one I should use. Also I hope you will be having more tutorials for begginers. This is fun and great. Thank-you

• kim says

hi nancy! i’m so glad you enjoyed this post! i’ll try to make more tutorials as i learn myself. the looms are up to you. if you plan to make a lot, i’d invest in a wooden one since the plastic pegs break easily. hope that helps! thanks!

• kim says

it says it in the directions.. you just slip it off the peg after you’ve done a couple of rows and then tie it at the end.

Awesome blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it
    from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog shine.
    Please let me know where you got your theme. Thanks

16. lanajane says

Hi just wondering were u got your loom board from I looked on ebay and they are wood and the cheapest one I could find was like 80 dollars so just wondering is your wood and were u got it from and how much it cost

• kim says

hi! there are links in the post where items are. if you hover over the different color words, it’ll link you to the site. wood would be a great investment since they don’t break as easily. mine were plastic and cost under 20 dollars. you can also find them at your local craft stores like joanns or michaels.

17. Jellypumpkin42 says

my mom is making my Knitting loom but for now I will use my Rainbow loom it can come apart. It is 6 pieces; 3 long pieces that you can uses the two sides. and take out the big blue piece.

18. Heather says

I just finished this project! I found it on Pinterest. It took me about two days! This was a great tutorial. It was also my first craft on a loom. This will definitely be a Christmas present!

Trackbacks