Pumpkin Gingerbread Biscotti

pumpkinbiscotti-3

pumpkinbiscotti

pumpkinbiscotti-2

pumpkinbiscotti-4

pumpkinbiscotti-5

pumpkinbiscotti-6

pumpkinbiscotti-7

I love that watermelon season is about to reach its prime in the year. Instead of drinking water, I eat half a watermelon a day. Seriously. Did you know it’s 92% water (The other 8% may be sugar, but who’s counting)?

Too bad you can’t buy watermelon year round like you can with pumpkin. You can celebrate fall anytime you want with a can of pumpkin. It may not be fresh, but it’ll do. With the many cans of pumpkin in my shelf, I pondered on what I could make. I’ve done plenty of breads and bars so I opted for something that looked a little different than what I normally make or eat: Biscotti.

I’ve never been a fan of biscotti, but this one was right up my alley. My DB ate them dipped in his coffee, but I just nibbled on mine plain. I could have dipped the whole thing in white chocolate and ate them all in a day if I desired, but that’s just crazy talk.

This recipe comes from The Comfort of Cooking.

Pumpkin Gingerbread Biscotti

Yield: 10-12 pieces

Ingredients

  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 4 ounces real white chocolate, chopped, or white candy melts
  • 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. Whisk together the egg, sugar and baking powder on medium-high speed until the mixture falls in ribbons when you life out the whisk. Next, add in the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, salt and vanilla and whisk.
  3. Carefully fold in the flour.
  4. Shape the dough into a flat log about 3″ wide by 8″ long.
  5. Bake the flat log for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and lower the temperature to 300 degrees.
  6. Let the dough cool down for 15 minutes before cutting into 1/2 inch slices. Put the slices on the baking sheet and bake for another 30 minutes, turning them over half way through.
  7. Let cool completely.
  8. Melt the white chocolate and dip half of the biscotti into it. Sprinkle the walnuts on top. Lay them on wax paper until the white chocolate hardens and then serve.
http://lovintheoven.com/2012/05/pumpkin-gingerbread-biscotti.html

Comments

  1. says

    This is a great recipe. I will definitely be adding it to the recipe box. I skipped the chocolate (who needs the extra calories, right?). I also think next time I will add more ginger and pumpkin. I’m not sure how that will play out with the moisture factor, though.

  2. says

    I tried this recipe and I loved the flavour and the smell while it was baking but it was rock hard! Like seriously, I almost chipped a tooth. Did anyone else have this problem? I’m new to biscotti making but I don’t think I over baked it…is it possibly too much sugar? I’d appreciate advice because, like I said, the flavour is AWESOME!

    • says

      @RACHEL
      TRADITIONALLY BISCOTTI IS MEANT TO BE HARD (ROCK HARD) AND TO BE EATEN BY DIPPING (THUS SOFTENING) IN HOT ESPRESSO/COFFEE/TEA/MILK. tHE ADDITION OF THE CHOCOLATE W/NUTS DOES MAKE THIS A BIT MORE DIFFICULT TO SOFTEN THE UNDERLYING BISCOTTI, BUT IF YOU EAT THE UNCHOCOLATE END FIRST, THEN YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO ‘SOAK IN THE LIQUID’ AND NIBBLE ON THE SOFTER INSIDES…THAT OF COURSE MEANS YOU GET A BIT OF CHOCOLATE ON YOUR FINGERS PERHAPS, BUT ALL GOOD THINGS INDEED *SHOULD* BE FINGER-LICKIN’

  3. says

    Cool blog!
    Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple adjustments would
    really make my blog look more professional. Please let
    me know!
    Many thanks

Trackbacks

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>