Baked Cheater Churros

cheaterchurros-3

cheaterchurros-4

cheaterchurros-3-2

cheaterchurros-2-4

cheaterchurros-4-3

cheaterchurros-2-3

Oops, I meant to update two days ago but I had so much going on! My sister and her boyfriend came up to visit over the weekend, my DB had his law school ball, and I’m traveling all over the states. I’m exhausted and ready to come home… Not to mention that my new glitter Toms tore up my feet like nobody’s business. No bueno. I thought they were supposed to be comfortable shoes?

You know the phrase, “What would you do for a Klondike bar?” Well, for me, it’s more like, “What would you do for a churro?” because I love them so much. I would love nothing more than to eat a Disneyland churro everyday of my life. But since I can’t, I’ll settle for these semi healthier homemade goodies. These are baked, not fried, saving a lot of grease from your diet.¬†They’re extremely easy to make and are best served immediately.

Baked Cheater Churros

Ingredients

• 1 sheet frozen pastry puff, thawed
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup melted butter

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Cut the frozen pastry into 1 inch wide strips
  3. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
  4. Mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
  5. When they are done baking, brush the sticks with the melted butter and roll into the sugar and cinnamon mixture.

Categories

Archives

Comments

Hah! I totally agree about the Disneyland churros. Oh man, how I wish I wasn’t so far away from DL right now! Seems like the only places that even have churros are Costco or Sam’s club and they’re no good :( I might try these sometime!

2. casey says

I made these yesterday. They were so simple and were a big hit with everyone. Thanks for sharing. I will be using this recipe again.

I made these last night but I cut the puff pastry at each fold and then again to make mini ones. I then made a sweet cream cheese filling and filled them. I served them with macerated strawberries and it was amazing my boyfriend loved them! Thanks for the idea!

4. Anonymous says

The first time i made these they were a hit, I made a rhubarb dipping sauce and a chocolate sauce for them. Mine turned out crispier than I had wanted, not as soft looking as in your pictures. Any tips? I baked them for only 8 minutes. I will be trying them again tonight.

5. Laura says

These were fantastic! I noticed in your pictures that the cut pastry had holes poked in them, is that how the pastry comes, or did you have to do that yourself? I was going to experiment with poking holes, as mine (Australia) did not come poked, but i completely forgot. The pastry puffed up quite a bit (as one would think it should, lol), but wonder if it would look more like your picks if I’d had poked the holes…will try that next time, because of course, i do have a few sheets of pastry left over, YUM!

• kim says

glad you enjoyed them! the pastry i bought had the holes already in them, so i’d give that a try to see if that made the difference. although, having super puffy churros isn’t a bad thing! :)

6. Stacey Rudolph says

Okay, so I used Phyllo dough. I thought it was the same thing; Is it a different product? I made the churros and the layers separated making it hard to coat with butter/sugar and eat. Darn! They tasted okay, but it was quite flaky.

7. Myrna June says

I just made these churros using the Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry sheets for my husbands birthday. They are ridiculously good and ridiculously easy to make!! I love how melt in the mouth they are. Thanks for the recipe.

8. Victoria says

I made these tonight for the first time, and they were delicious!! They were so easy, and were a hit with my friends, my husband, my 18-year-old daughter, and 15-year-old son. thank you so much, they are my new favorite dessert.

• kim says

book? not sure what you mean. the puff pastry itself can be found at trader joe’s. if you don’t have a trader joe’s, you can use any pastry puff.

Trackbacks