Here are the only ingredients that you need. The cereal I used can be found at Trader Joe’s.
You know what… I spend a lot more money on groceries than I thought I would. I don’t know if it’s because boys eat a lot more than I expected or if it’s because I get a little too excited when I’m at the grocery store and start throwing unnecessary things in my cart. It probably doesn’t help that I like to have a fully stocked kitchen at all times.
How do you budget? I don’t have a Sunday newspaper anymore like I used to back home, so there goes a majority of my coupon cutting. Sure, you can print out coupons online, but that’s such a pain in the butt!
Until I figure that out, I’ll keep chomping away on my puppy chow. Have you ever heard of puppy chow? I was surprised by the amount of people that didn’t know what it was! I lived off this stuff in middle school, yet my DB had never heard of it in his life.
Traditionally, puppy chow is made with peanut butter instead of Nutella, but this version is just as great (if not better!). I saw this idea from Healthy Tasty Chow and adapted it to my liking/what was on hand in my kitchen. Just keep it stored in an airtight container and you can munch on it for days.
Nutella Puppy Chow
Click Here for a Printable Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 13 cups (more or less) or one 12oz box of hearty wheat/corn/rice cereal like Chex – try to find a hearty version so it doesn’t break down when stirring
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- In a pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and chocolate chips, stirring constantly.
- When all is melted and smooth, remove from heat and stir in the Nutella.
- Slowly pour the chocolate Nutella mixture over cereal in a large mixing bowl. Wash your hands and use them to stir everything together until fairly evenly coated.
- Wash those hands again and add the cereal to a gallon sized ziploc bag.
- Pour in the powdered sugar and shake, starting with 1/2 cup at a time. You want to make sure everything’s coated, but not too sweet!