Before we get to the bars, I’m sure you guys are all wondering who the winner of the Shabby Apple giveaway is! Well, with some help from random.org, the winner is….
Tree! Congratulations! Keep an eye out for an email from me so I can get your contact information and size for the dress.
I was craving Ben & Jerry’s “chunky monkey” one night and didn’t want to drive all the way to the grocery store at one o’clock in the morning. Since I had the three main ingredients on hand, I decided to whip something up (not to mention my family somehow has a never ending amount of ripe bananas). Of course these aren’t as good as the real thing, but paired with vanilla ice cream, they’d give them a run for their money. This recipe does make quite a bit, so cut it in half if you’re not feeding a family of twenty.
These bars are very light– they’d make a great breakfast or brunch snack to take on the go. The walnuts can be omitted, and the chocolate can be changed to white or milk… whatever floats your boat.
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 very ripe, mashed bananas
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 8 oz chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a rimmed cookie sheet with butter or oil.
- Cream together the butter and both sugars.
- Mix in the eggs, bananas, and vanilla until well blended.
- Mix in the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate and walnuts. Spread into prepared cookie sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.