Double Chocolate Espresso Sandwich Cookies with Peanut Butter Frosting

DSC_2149

DSC_2155

DSC_2144

DSC_2151

DSC_2182

I went to Chuck E Cheese yesterday for a 3 year old birthday party and had a blast! Granted, I spent most of the time chasing my DB’s niece around and helping her push buttons… but I still had fun (especially with the instant photo sketch machine)! It’s amazing how kids are so easily entertained. I was overloaded with plenty of cupcakes, cake, and brownies yesterday since we celebrated multiple birthdays, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t get any cotton candy! I may or may not have gotten a little sick last night from all that sugar and fell asleep at 6 PM. So that’s what it feels like to be a kid again… Oops.
Now these cookies tasted alright.. but the texture was all off. The cookie reminded me of Dorie’s World Peace Cookies, but not nearly as good. The frosting was too thick and practically un-spreadable even though I added quite a bit of milk to it. The cookie itself was dry and hard, but the instant espresso powder was a nice touch since it brought out the chocolate flavor. A little tweaking to the cookie recipe and a new frosting altogether would do it!
Oh, these cookies were practically impossible for me to cut into discs out of the refrigerator, so I just molded them myself using my hands. That would explain the uneven, semi-circular shapes that I’ve got going on.
From Jules Food
1 cup flour
3/4 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
8 tbs. unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup chocolate chips
1 tsp instant espresso powder

1. Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder. Set aside.
  2. In another bowl, cream together the butter and both sugars. Stir in the egg and vanilla.
  3. Gradually mix in the flour mixture to the wet mixture, until just incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  4. Separate the dough into two and roll them into 2 uniform logs about 12 inches long. Refrigerate it until firm enough to slice.
  5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  6. Cut the logs into 1 inch slices and place 1 ½ inches apart on the prepared sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the dough looks just baked. The cookies should be tender, so do not over bake.

PEANUT BUTTER FILLING

• 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 6 Tbsp softened unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  1. Cream all the ingredients together until well mixed. Use immediately.

Categories

Archives

Comments

This looks so indulging. I love chocolate and coffee combined in a recipe. I think these cookies will be perfect for our family reunion next month. My grandparents will surely love it.

I think it is a dark chocolate flavored cookie with those ¾ cups of cocoa powder. My hubby will love that one. I love the peanut butter frosting to make some sweets on the cookies.

I made then but used 1/2 c butter in the frosting, made sure to sift the icing suger first. In the cookies I used all brown sugar and no white.I cut the cookies 1/2 ” rather then an inch as they didn’t spread much so at first were to thick. Really amazing :))

4. Anonymous says

Ugh, I wish I would have known all this before starting the recipe without all the extra information on LJ.

Oh well. The cookies are already firm so I have no choice but to make them now.

5. Anonymous says

Why post something that sucks? Seriously? I thought this was about posting great recipes. Besides, coffee and peanut butter… Yuck! Not exactly a match made in heaven?

@anon- because this blog is about testing out recipes. trial and error. i post everything that i make and write out my thoughts. as for coffee and PB, everyone has their own taste. i think they’d go great together, but maybe in a different recipe. dickey, two posts before you, commented how much she liked it when she made it (after making some adjustments). it might not have worked for me, but it worked out for her. so yes, seriously.

7. Anonymous says

I made these with my kids and ran into some problems but not the ones you encountered. My three-year-old was able to cut them straight from the fridge, so that wasn’t an issue. Also, the frosting was very thin, almost runny. The time and temp was all wrong and burned the cookies (black bottoms after 11 minutes and my oven does not run hot). The recipe didn’t give any idea to how big the logs should be or how many cookies you should end up with, so it’s conceivable that I should have made shorter, fatter logs.

The pictures made me want to try this, but it’s really not a very good recipe.

8. Anonymous says

I am cooking the cookies now. But I calmed down the ductch cocoa by 1/4 cup instead of the 3/4th and I added half of bag of chocolate chips (made double the batch so a whole bag). I put in instant christmas blend coffee made by starbucks instead of the espresso. I am going to use buttercream instead of the peanut butter frosting. We’ll see how it turns out.
    ~~~~~~~~~

9. Anonymous says

I did the buttercream frosting which made them very rich. They taste amazing. I would probably go as far as to maybe add one more egg to the mixture. In the buttercream I mixed some crushed white chocolate morsels and smooshed it together. It is awesome.

10. Charity says

THese are so so good except i can’t imagine baking them for 15 mins. at 350! No wonder people said they were hard. if you want a soft and super delicious cookie then bake at 345 for just 6 minutes. let cool on tray for almost 10 mins before you put them on cooling racks so they don’t fall apart. they will cool to a super delicious soft moist cookie that’s to die for!!! My husband and i loved them :) Then i frosted them (just the tops instead of doing a sandwich cookie) with another pb buttercream frosting recipe i found that i made with chunkie peanut butter and piped out with a large star tip. so so cool. thanks so much for the amazing recipe… you’re right, with just a little tweaking and a different frosting, they are amazing! :) oh, also i used all brown sugar because that’s what someone in another comment said they did so i did too hoping i’d help make them more moist :)