Cinnamon Roll Cake

DSC_3480

DSC_3487

DSC_3491

Sorry I’ve been MIA for a while.. the 12 days of cookies really wore me out! I even took a mini break to Las Vegas to relax. I’m addicted to the “Deal or No Deal” slot machine. By addicted, I mean putting a dollar in and freaking out if I lose it or not. Don’t worry, I won it back on the “Goldfish” slot machine. Haha, I’m quite the high roller, don’t you know.
Here’s a quick little post on a cake that people loved. My DB and his sister in law even claimed it to be the best thing I’ve baked so far. That’s quite a statement! The cake is basically a lighter version of a cinnamon roll. Soft, just the right amount of sweetness, and not so messy to eat. I didn’t add in nuts, but I’m sure they’d make a great addition. From The Girl Who Ate Everything.

Cake:

• 3 cups flour
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 ½ cups milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) real butter, melted

Topping:

• 1 cup (2 sticks) real butter, softened
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans, (optional) (always measure the nuts first then chop them)

Glaze:

• 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 5 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix together the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, eggs and vanilla. Next, stir in the 1/2 cup melted butter. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
  3. Next, for the topping, mix the 2 sticks of softened butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and pecans until well combined. Drop evenly over cake batter by spoonfuls and use a knife to marble/swirl through the cake.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center.
  5. For the glaze, mix powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth and pour over warm cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Comments

Carbs are my weakness and this looks SO good!! It’s only January 11th and I’m ready to throw away my resolutions due to this post!!

Will they invent smell-o-vision anytime soon??

I make a version of this cake, but use a boxed yellow cake mix. I’ve been wanting to make a cinnamon roll cake without the boxed cake mix because a mix feels like cheating, I’ll have to try this!

OMG this looks incredible! I think I’ll half the recipe though, since I doubt two people would be able to eat the whole one in a reasonable time frame. Yummilicious!

Kim, this looks wonderful. I’m new here so after reading this entry I browsed through some you had done earlier. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I’ll definitely be back. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary.

5. Jamie M says

Just made this cake and it smells wonderful! I have not cut it yet so I’m not sure how pretty mine has turned out and have no tasted it yet either. I was wondering though, how do you spread your icing? For the apple struesel recipe that you have posted and for this I have just sort of used the whisk to drizzle the top of the cake. When I do this though I get uneven squiggles (I’m no professional though!) Do you have any tips?

Thank you! And I LOVE your blog (as do my bf and coworkers!) ~Jamie

6. diane moore says

I just made this fo the first time, and it’s definitely a keeper. I did not add the nuts, and i added a couple tablespoons of cream cheese (softened) to the glaze. It came out splendidly. if i were to tweak anything, i would probably add even more cinnamon, and i would make a more flavorful glaze, maybe a brown-butter glaze. i also think raisins would be a great addition.

7. t says

I made this about a month ago and it was Delicious. Tried to save a piece for my daughter while she was at cheer camp but when she returned she forgot to ask for it so i put in microwave for abt 30 sec ate ate it with cold milk.

Hi there terrific website! Does running a blog similar
    to this take a massive amount work? I’ve very little expertise in coding but I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future.
    Anyhow, should you have any recommendations or techniques for new
    blog oaners please share. I understand this is off subject nevertheless
    I just had to ask. Thanks!