Pioneer Woman’s Chocolate Sheet Cake

So I just got fingerprinted today for part of my teaching credential program. 80 bucks, seriously!?! I just spent my month’s money worth of food to have my identity taken. I mean, the process only took ten minutes at most, so I’m still confused at why it costs so darn much. Teachers don’t even make any money, anyways! Rip off the ones that have the money to be ripped off.. Sigh.. End rant.

I painted my room last night with my dad and couldn’t LOVE it more. It used to be a bright seafoam green (I went through my Roxy stage ten years ago and decorated my room to fit the whole “surfer theme”) and now it’s a tan/light brown/beige color. It makes such a big difference on the way my room looks now. My room is now currently my little side project that I’m working on and I’m revamping it to make it more suitable to my age. Haha.

Now onto the cake…Thank goodness for Pioneer Woman. I’ve never met her or talked to her in real life, but I feel like I know her. Those are always the best bloggers, right?— The ones that you seem to know oh so well. I don’t take any credit for this recipe, for this one is truly hers. You can find it posted on her blog here. This recipe has wandered across the baking world and finally made its way into my kitchen. I’ve had it bookmarked for months since it’s been raved about so much, and I can now stand behind it with the rest of the bloggers. I took it into work and everyone raved about it. It’s delectably moist without having too much of an overpowering chocolate taste. It’s a light cake, so be careful not to eat the entire thing in one sitting (or do, who am I to tell you what not to do?)!

For the Cake:

• 1-¾ stick Butter
  • 4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
  • 6 Tablespoons Milk
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1 pound (minus 1/2 Cup) Powdered Sugar
Preparation Instructions
  1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.
  2. In a saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa. Stir together.
    Add boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool.
  3. In a measuring cup, pour the buttermilk and add beaten eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes.
  4. While cake is baking, make the icing. Chop pecans finely. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat. Add the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Stir together. Add the pecans, stir together, and pour over warm cake.
  5. Cut into squares & eat.

Categories

Archives

Comments

that looks SUPER delicious! I have a guitar shaped pan (yes, i’m geeky like that) that I wanted to use for a birthday cake. The problem is that it’s pretty flat so I cannot bake cakes that rise too much on it, otherwise it overflows, this looks like the PERFECT cake to use… and so chocolatey! I’m totally gonna give it a shot! Oh, and today I’m making your black bottom cupcakes! I hope they come out as delicious as yours!

Yayy! I love The Pioneer Woman too…have you read her new cookbook?! It seriously brought me to tears. I can’t wait to make this sheet cake…you gave me the little push I needed! :)

How funny that you made this — I was JUST going through her recipes the other day to find something to make for my hubby for his birthday and I thought about making this cake. Glad to hear it turned out so well!!

Yes I concur with KaKi – I’m from Texas. Add cinnamon and you have a Texas sheet cake. Great pictures…I’m drooling. This is my fall back dessert. Guys love it.

5. meg says

Hi! :) I just saw from Pioneer Woman’s site that the recipe calls for salted butter. What type did you use, salted or unsalted? :) Because I read from somewhere that the usage of salted butter plus the salt made it a tad bit too salty for some people’s tastes. What did you use? :D thanks!!

6. Anonymous says

With a cup of Coca-Cola subbed in for the boiling water this cake becomes ….Coca Cola Cake , or Picnic Cake in the South . We’ve loved this cake for a long time , a great old school recipe. MMMM, I’m going to make some right now !!

this was the best recipe ever. i loved it. i didnt put the nuts in because i was making it for a group of people who didnt enjoy nuts but i would almost put a shot of espresso in the cake batter to give it a little kick

8. Amee' says

This cake looks simple, straightforward and so delicious! I really look forward to making it in the future. One question though, my friends and family do love dessert, but really don’t like too much sweet. This cake looks really sweet with the icing and all, and I was wondering if I could omit the icing and have it still taste good…thoughts? Thanks!

9. Anonymous says

I’m the girl who asked you for a chocolate-y recipe on formspring and you sent me here. Thanks a lot!
    I had actually looked at this before and considered it… yay. :D

10. Anonymous says

been making this cake all my life,we call it Jayhawker cake since it came from my family in Kansas. Never a holiday without it my entire life.

Hey I am so thrilled I found your blog, I really found you
    by mistake, while I was searching on Askjeeve for something else,
    Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say thank you
    for a fantastic post and a all round entertaining blog
    (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time
    to look over it all at the minute but I have saved it and also included your
    RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to
    read a great deal more, Please do keep up the great work.

Good post. I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon every day.
    It’s always helpful to read through articles from other writers and use something from their websites.

Trackbacks