Day 3 of my twelve days of cookies: These may LOOK like your average chocolate chip cookie, but I assure you, it’s not! This recipe comes from Une Gamine Dans La Cuisine, and they are peppermint chocolate chip cookies. They are easy to make and come out looking as cute as a button. I made mine a little smaller– two bites and they’re gone!
I have a confession to make. I actually hated these cookies. Whoever invented peppermint extract must have been on drugs or something because that stuff does not belong ANYWHERE besides the trash can! I was so excited when making these too, thinking that they would come out all Christmas-like. But nooooo.. since I have never worked with peppermint extract before, I didn’t know what to expect. The texture, consistency, and taste of these cookies would have been pure bliss if it weren’t for the peppermint extract that ruined it. I would make these cookies again, but substitute MINT extract for peppermint extract next time. TRUST ME, there is a difference! I suppose you could also substitute the peppermint extract for vanilla as well, making a grand ol’ chocolate chip cookie.
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1/4 tsp. of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of tightly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/4 tsp. of peppermint extract
- 1 cup of chopped dark chocolate
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, beat the butter and sugars together on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). On low speed, slowly add the beaten egg and peppermint extract. Beat to combine, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour mixture and beat just until there are no more streaks of flour. Stir in the chopped dark chocolate by hand. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out well rounded tablespoonfuls of the dough and roll them into balls. Leave about 2 inches between each ball. Bake for 8-9 minutes. If you prefer crispier cookies increase the baking time by 1-2 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before removing.