Mocha Cupcakes with Kahlua Cream Cheese Frosting

Please excuse my repetitive posts of cupcakes recently. I realized that my photos are also becoming somewhat homogeneous. Hmm… I’ll have to work on that. I’m done with midterms this week and the weekend is finally here! As you may or may not know, I’m kind of a nerd at heart. I love the marvel superhero comics, my favorite being X-Men. I’ve seriously been counting down the days for Wolverine to come out ever since last year. That day is finally here! I’m celebrating the end of week 5 with the midnight showing of Wolverine. Luckily, my boyfriend is a bigger nerd than me, so I don’t have to hold back my adoration for X-Men. :)

By the way, is anyone watching this Bulls/Celtics game? It’s so ridiculous!!! I can’t stand the celtics, but oh my goodness, ray allen! By the way that they’re playing, this game will never end. But man, what a game to be at. They’re going into the 3rd overtime right now… how intense is that?!

I haven’t baked in a week and it’s driving me nuts! Luckily, I’ll be baking this weekend and next week, as I’ll be sending out cookies for my mailing list. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, check out my previous post. I got this recipe from Culinography and pretty much followed it exactly, with a few minor adjustments. I piped on the cream cheese frosting and dusted some cocoa powder on top (the second picture, I just slathered on the frosting and got a little lazy :) The cupcake was indefinitely moist, flavorful, and went well with the Kahlua frosting. I upped the cocoa and mocha, making an even stronger cupcake. After baking, you couldn’t really taste the coffee much.. it just had a coffee aftertaste. Now, don’t go thinking that I’m an alcoholic because I put a little kick into the frosting. I actually despise drinking and everything about it, but if I HAD to choose a drink, it’d be a white russian. You can always sub this frosting and use a regular cream cheese frosting if you don’t want the alcohol or plan on serving it to kids. The recipe with my adjustments is as follows:

Mocha Cupcakes
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
1 cup yogurt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 1/2 rounded tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
4 tablespoons espresso powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Insert liners into a cupcake pan.

On medium speed, cream together the sugar, butter, and eggs until fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix in the yogurt.

In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, cocoa, and salt.

In a measuring cup combine the water, coffee and vanilla.

Alternate adding the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar/sour cream mixture with the coffee mixture. Mix thoroughly.

Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Remove cupcakes to wire rack and cool before frosting. (makes 24 cupcakes)

Kahlua Frosting
5 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2.5 tablespoons Kahlua
16 ounces powdered sugar

Cream together cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Mix in Kahlua, then powdered sugar in one cup increments until frosting reaches desired consistency. Apply to cupcakes. (frosts 24 cupcakes generously)

Categories

Archives

Comments

found your blog via bakebakebake and now i’m a fan!

p.s. the bball game was CUH-RAZY, d.rose is my hero. I hope the bulls pull it off in game 7. but..uh.. go lakers! :)

YUM, kahlua is good, i need to get my lazy butt up and start baking from your recipies!

Oh that bulls game was most def awesome..but since the blazers are out, im rootin for the lakers!! =]

i could really use a cupcake!!! and yours look soooo lovely:)do you think i could subst baileys for the kahlua! i love baileys! and yays to you for finishing my exams! mine is still ongoing but i will be free for 3 whole months after 8th may:)

Fantastic frosting job and NICE flavor combo. I’ve never thought of adding kahlua to a frosting, but I’m sure they were hard to put down.

-Siri

Cupcakes look wonderful. I have got to try some of these frosting recipes I’m seeing that use liquers. The Kahlua one would be great and was recently looking at a recipe for Irish cream frosting.

Um, that looks delicious and awesome. I’ve been looking through weird cupcake recipes to try. Doing red velvet ones with cream cheese frosting this weekend! Definitely following your blog now.

Another yummy looking recipe!!
    Not only do you post amazing recipes, I love that you are a fan of x-men!! My friends and I went and got cheesecake to-go from the cheesecake factory to bring to the wolverine midnight showing with us :)

I’ve sooooo been meaning to incorporate the espresso powder I bought recently in some sort of cakey dessert. Even better is the kahlua frosting! I’m an advocate of adding healthy portions of booze into my baking. Maybe I’ll just make the frosting and spoon that into my mouth. Or maybe I should just drink the kahlua straight if I really want the booze. eh. I’ve been making cupcakes a lot lately too. But I figured cupcakes ALWAYS make people giggle, so you can never overdo it! Keep up the cupcake work!

luv,
    heather

9. Anonymous says

I made these for my mom’s birthday last week…HUGE hit! Thanks for the inspiration to get into my kitchen and bake. :)

K.R. in Canada

10. Anonymous says

hi! thanks so much for posting this delicious recipe. i’m about to bring the cupcakes to a surprise birthday party, and i can’t wait for everyone to enjoy them. i was actually able to make 32 cupcakes with this recipe & i had left over icing! however, i’ll only be bringing 30 to the party because my boyfriend couldn’t resist and ate 2 of them while i wasn’t looking. :)

thanks again.

I just made these cupcakes along with your funfetti receipe for a friend’s birthday! Both were a huge hit and I personally LOVED the mocha cupcakes!

Am so glad I found this blog, will definitely be checking in and trying more recipes! Thanks and good luck with school! (Baking is definitely school therapy for me too!)

last year i used your kahlua cream cheese frosting recipe on halloween for my pumpkin spice cupcakes…it was a hit!…so much that this halloween, per friends & family’s requests, i’m making them again! *also, i sprinkled cinnamon on top* thank you!!!