Happy belated Easter, everyone! My baby cousin came over (alright, so maybe he’s not so baby anymore.. he’s turning 5 this year) and we did a mini Easter egg hunt for him. I absolutely adore the little munchkin and spoil him quite a bit. He doesn’t eat much, but he LOVES cupcakes. He’ll finish a cupcake in no time at all. I wanted to make something that the adults would love too, something not too sweet. I settled for vanilla cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
I’ve always been a fan of Pillsbury’s Funfetti cake mix, and when I saw this recipe on the community bakebakebake from livejournal, I knew I had to make it. This recipe is adapted from livejournal user bluemotion and the original recipe can be found here; thanks! I got about 17 cupcakes from this recipe. The cream cheese frosting is pretty much a basic cream cheese recipe. I usually just play around with it until I get the consistency/taste that I want since it’s very forgiving. You can’t really mess it up. The cupcakes were a huge hit– adult and children alike. I probably should’ve left my cupcakes in a bit longer, as they sunk a bit in the middle. Besides that, the cake was wonderfully moist and the frosting was perfect– creamy and not too sweet. The cake batter tasted exactly like that from the box, which is a huge plus in my opinion. These sure won’t disappoint!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 XL egg whites
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/8 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- a handful of rainbow sprinkles (jimmies), optional
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Mix together in a bowl: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together melted butter and sugar until combined. Add egg whites and beat until mixture is smooth and light. Stir in vanilla extract. Add flour mixture in two additions, alternating with the yogurt. Gently fold in sprinkles, if using. Scoop batter into prepared tins.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until cupcakes are barely golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out with a couple of loose crumbs. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes in tins. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Cream cheese frosting:
- About 1/3 cup and 3 T of softened butter
- 10 oz cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Beat butter and cream cheese together until well blended. Mix in the vanilla. Gradually incorporate the powdered sugar into the batter. Beat until smooth. Add more powdered sugar if necessary to get the desired consistency.