Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

I honestly don’t think that someone can ever try enough chocolate chip cookie recipes. This is my 3rd of 4th on my blog so far, but trust me, I’ve baked far more variations of this cookie than that. Now this particular cookie & recipe will always relate to a 42″ plasma for me. Why? Let me tell you the story…

My boyfriend had a 32″ LCD TV in his room and had been researching for weeks in search of a reliable 42″ plasma to replace it. He read review after review about pretty much every TV out there. He wanted something bigger and better than his old one. Oh, boys… They’re all the same when it comes to technology gadgets and gizmos- what they have is never good enough and they always have to have the best, the top of the line. He was going to buy this particular TV online for a steal, but his mom convinced him not to at that moment and I told him save his money. The very next day, the TV was sold out/discontinued from the store online. Boy, was he angry.. there was no other deal like that online or in stores and he missed out on his chance on getting the TV at that price. The very next day, I went with him to Costco to check out the TVs there because they had the one that he wanted to buy online. Three hours later, he walked out of Costco with a brand new 42″ plasma for nearly $100 less than the online price. Good thing he didn’t buy it online when he had the chance to!

The next day, my boyfriend went to The Getty Villa Museum in Malibu with my family and was telling my dad about his amazing purchase. The instant my dad heard the price tag for the 42″ plasma, his eyes lit up like a kid in a candy store. My dad turned his head to my mom and said, “That’s so cheap! Let’s get it,” with a big smile on his face. Mind you, we have this disease that runs in our family called the “Nguyen disease” (yes, we made it up and that is my family’s last name).

What is the Nguyen disease? The Nguyen disease is basically the act of impulse buying on bargain items. We cannot let great deals go by us and when there is a good deal.. we usually don’t just buy one, we buy multiple numbers of the same item and usually give them away to other family members. Example? My dad bought five digital scales because they were only fifteen dollars, marked down from like fifty. What in the world could you do with five scales in one household? He kept one and gave the other four away to my cousins/uncles/aunts/friends. Ridiculous, I know.

After the Getty, we went out to lunch and I would catch glimpses of my dad whispering to my mom, ending with “…please? Can we get it?” Finally, my mom agreed. The moment we finished lunch, my dad drove to Costco and bought the TV. Why? We don’t even need a TV in our house. We already have 3 flat screen TV’s that are 45″ and up… but because the price tag was so cheap, my dad couldn’t pass up on it. We didn’t even really have a spot for the TV, so where did my dad put it? In my tiny room. Now he hangs out in my room all the time, playing the guitar and turning my room into his own little sanctuary.

While on this trip to Costco with my family and boyfriend after lunch, I picked up Martha Stewart’s Cookies, which has been on my list of baking books to get for quite some time. The book has lots of tips and recommended tools, accompanied by colorful pictures. This is only my first recipe from the book, but I guarantee you it won’t be my last. These cookies are delightfully chewy and flavorful, making it to my list of top 3 chocolate chip cookie recipes. Give them a shot! you can find the recipe online here.

• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (about 12 ounces) semisweet and/or milk chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter with both sugars; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; add the salt, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  2. Drop heaping tablespoon-size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
  3. Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, but still soft in the center, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.

Categories

Archives

Comments

Loved the story! My boyfriend is the same, always needs the most up to date technology despite owning stuff that still works fine.
    I have heard that Martha is the go to gal for cookie recipes, so I must give this one a go!

OHMYGOD! My family is the EXACT same way. A couple weeks ago at target the “Shark Vac” was on sale, so my mom bought 2 of them… one for our house & one for the CHRISTMAS gift exchange at my grandma’s house… she also bought me 3 sets of the same sheets because they were “so cheap!” i’ve had the sheets for 4 years and have only used 1 set. hahaha. I just call this syndrome “being Asian.”

apparentlyjessy- thanks for providing more proof that all boys are the same! haha. yes, martha is martha stewart for a reason.. i think the reason is this book.

thefoodlibrarian- thanks!

heather-dear- hahahahha i literally laughed out loud when i read your comment. it’s totally “being Asian.” and sidenote, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the shark vac!!! it’s probably one of the greatest inventions in this time. seirously.

lyB- thanks!

I wish I’d found your receipt (that’s recipe down here) before I made the batch I made tonight. I have a great CCC receipt that is crisp. I was looking for a big cowpie like soft cookie, the kind you find at coffee shops. soft in the middle with crisp edges. I googled it & checked out a bunch & made a batch of what I thought would work. No go. I’m a baker so I know what’s going on. These were cakey. Maybe I baked them too long. I don’t know. I’m anxious to try yours.
    If I find a bra that is perfect I’ll buy 6 because I know they’ll be discontinued in no time. Can’t compete with your TV story.
    Marian, Charleston, SC

These cookies look amazing! I myself am still on the hunt for the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe and from looking at your photos I’m hoping this one might be it! I added a link to your site on my blog!

These are SO good! I’ve tried a few different recipes and my cookies always ended up more like biscuits than cookies – I was probably overcooking them. These ones are so soft and chewy and taste amazing. Thank you!

7. Anonymous says

Hi,

Thanks for the story and for posting a good recipe. I recently tried the famous NY Times recipe, but the cookies turned out dry and hard, which was disappointing. I just tried another recipe today that is very similar to yours and they turned out really well – soft and chewy even hours later – much like what you would expect from an expensive gourmet quality cookie. Here are the differences:

1. 1 1/2 stick MELTED butter (melt and then chill in fridge to room temp.)
    2. 2 C all purpose flour
    3. 1/2 tsp salt
    4. 1 whole egg plus 1 egg yolk
    5. 1 C chips or chunks (I used chunks of bakers chocolate with 70% cocoa)
    6. I added 1 C chopped macadamia nuts (love the taste and texture of macadamia nuts)
    7. bake at 325 degrees middle rack for 10-12 minutes

Happy Baking!

8. Anonymous says

im making these as i type this! the dough is sooo tasty too! so light and fluffy and full or flavour! yummm i cant wait till they are baked up!

9. Gloria Carson says

I made cookies last night, and these chocolate chip cookies turned out hard and crispy! That is not what I wanted, so tonight I am going to try your recipe.
    Your story about the t.v. is very funny. Tell your dad I still have an old RCA in a cabinet, ugly, ugly, I hate it!

10. jim and dwight says

we just made the cookies, they are in the oven, ill eat one before posting this, they look good so far but the true test is coming….
    ok we ate some, …. good. we like them, very good, soft and cookie like, they are not fluffy which is good, we dont like cookies that have the texture of a cupcake. this is good very good.

11. Anonymous says

not trying to step up and make a name for myself LOL but hubby is not much on the semiswt choc chips, so just did your FABULOUS recipe with one half of the chips being semiswt and the other half of the chips milk chocolate chips, perfect blend, and now I don’t know what happened, three hours later the cookies are GONE *ROFL* I better frisk him :O

just LOVE LOVE your site, I am here all the time!

12. Anonymous says

dying LOL at your TV story, cute cute.
    I have slightly genetically-given funky feet, so most usually when I find anything clothes wise and kitchen wise that are indeed the best, I do stock up, because yes they WILL be gone, closed out,etc.etc. For footwear the only tennys I can wear all day with these funky feet are Acics and I just bought 8 pairs today and threw them in the closet. God teaches us to be wise…… ;)

13. Anonymous says

Thank you thank you! These are by far the best soft cc cookies I have ever made! My boyfriend will wake up and be so thrilled, Im sure he will eat em up quick!

14. kat says

Thanks for the recipe , although sad to hear about the impulse buying. Put that money towards your retirement instead of adding up debt on material thing you don’t need.

Trackbacks